With the body channelled over the frame, the frame would interfere with the stylish 'tail' at the back of the body. I did not want to alter this at all, so after much consideration I decided to simply lower the frame back here.
Before I welded in the frame drop section I mocked up this area with some springs. This is not a real clear photo, but the stock springs will work great.
Front view of engine and radiator shell. I still need to get a radiator. And the tie rod is not completed(!)
I would love to say that the frame was 'Perfect', it was'nt. Some filler was needed to fill rust pockets. I learned (somewhere) to heat the metal to displace any moisture before applying filler.
The frame looks really long with the body removed. Lots of grinding and cleaning to do yet.
Sanded down,filled,primered,waiting for paint.
Lowered frame section in place. When finished this area will be tucked up inside the body.
Color testing the frame."Mineral Gray"
Closer shot of the rear springs and inside frame plate. (not yet finished out) I am using a Ford 9 inch rear with 3.50 gears.
bellhousing to transmission adapter that I made. Trans is a SM465 (chevy truck 4 speed) The 'granny' low will be helpful in parades and at shows.
When I boxed the frame for the "drop" I left part of the original mounting tabs in place making it easier to pick up the correct location for the crossmember.
Frame painted. the notche(s) in the frame are for the cowl to sit down in. Color is "Mineral gray" from "Duplicolor"
Another photo of lining up the cut out section. I wish I had not cut it out originally!
Finally- ready for primer and paint! There was a lot of time spent to get this far.
Mounting the front axle for the final time! Tires are 7.00 x 16 BFG's
Fixing the cut out sections of the rear. The gas tank fits in this area.
Starting the Frames final assembly (April 2014)
Straight on shot. Waiting for the shortened axle shaft before I install the rear end. April 2014